Small Business Credit Cards are a Good Business Practice
There are two things that every small business owner should want to manage more effectively. Their credit cards and their business. These days 2/3 of all small business owners decide to use small business credit cards. There's good reason to. Here are just five of them:
1. Fewer Cards = Fewer Problems. For one thing, the decision to use a small business credit card means you've made your life just a little bit easier - at least when it comes to managing your statement. It avoids co-mingling your personal expenses with business expenses. When you mix your business and personal expenses they become even more difficult to itemize and separate. That becomes an issue when tax time rolls around. It's a good way to get audited if you can't quantify your return to the IRS. When you're trying to calculate your profits, your general expenses, your payroll - and you're not capable of doing that due to inadequate separation of your business and personal transactions, then it's definitely time to get a small business credit card. oerferably a rewards credit card, It can simplify your life.
2. Book Keeping Made Easy. Most credit card companies will make this even easier for you by providing you with year-end statements. This summary of your transactions will be itemized and categorized and will make accounting for all your business associated costs quite easy. This is bookkeeping at its finest - automated for you... there's no other step involved. Between the time when you make a purchase and when it shows up on your statement there's no second step. The bulk of the accounting work you're doing now is already done for you. You won't need to keep your cash receipts anymore trying to remember what was spent on what - no more lost receipts means no more expenses you can't account for.
3. Growing Your Business. As your business grows, you may one day have reason for a small business loan. You can use this to improve your office. Get a bigger office. Hire more staff. Anything that is a sound investment should not be ignored. If the return on investment is worthy of the expense then it's worth it to your business. This is where your small business credit card can come in handy. This can help you establish a line of credit worthy of the loan you need to make this happen. Try getting a small business loan when your business accounts are not in order... you won't have much luck, as they say get credit before youu need it
4. Free Stuff! Did you know there are rewards options for small business credit cards. These range from office supplies, travel, and software, to phone services or even cash back. Choosing the right small business rewards credit card can optimize your rewards and make your business even more manageable. This way the expense of travel to meet with your client doesn't have to factor into the equation. Help minimize your costs with a small business rewards card, it's your money why not get paid for spending it.
5. Keep Yourself in Control. What some businesses do is to take out multiple cards. This can make managing your employees simple, as expenses and the flow of cash moving in different directions is made easy to track. Not only is this better for your bookkeeping process, but it can help your credit score, making it better to one day apply for that business loan you might need, this may be your overall goal in getting the business rewards credit card in the first place.
Sometimes the best offer for a small business credit card is where you do business already. Applying at the financial institution you already bank with can aid in the approval process. Especially if you have good credit already. Likewise you can apply the same rules of thumb in managing your small business card that you've learned to do in managing your personal credit cards. Namely, paying your balance online can save you time and money. Paying your balance on time will increase your credit score and eventually lead to bigger and greater things. Late payments can lead to trouble down the road. By effectively managing a small business credit card you can better manage your business' expenses and one day help you grow your business even more.